In the past weeks I have been discovering Google+ and what an amazing bunch of people I have discovered there. Some of the best photographers in the world, more on that in another post. Some great artists, musicians, worship musicians and leaders, well it is amazing and never before have I found a social network, social networking site, that tickles my creative tingles than on Google+, and with all the other services available through Google, I hope this will quickly integrate into my own social portal.
For those who have not received an invite yet, leave a comment with an email address here and I am happy to send you one.
Google+ v Facebook v Twitter
In the past weeks many have written about Google+ and especially compared to Facebook and Twitter. I have to admit, my preference for several reasons goes out to Google+ over Facebook and Twitter taken together, but that is my personal taste. At the same time like many I am inclined to break away from both of them completely but there are still so many friends on there. I guess I’ll wait a little while but everytime I go to either Facebook or Twitter, I find it less appealing. With developers picking up on the Google+ enthusiasm, almost daily there is a new extension for G+ or an app to make life on Google+ even better.
Some are more fanatical in their comments and opinions and urge everyone to leave Facebook and Twitter if they have not already done so, exchange your flickr account for picasa and more like that. I’ll just wait and see, and while my preference for Google+ far exceeds Facebook currently, I also remember how I have enjoyed Facebook and remember how it was such a breeze after some of the other network sites I used to be a member of. Just because Google+ is great that does not mean that all of a sudden Facebook is useless, although some recent changes are less favorable.
Google+ and Facebook all good
In the Star ( a local rag) of last Wednesday 20 July, the Health section had an article by Jolene Williams, on the matter of Alzheimer’s and the importance of a national strategy. In the side bar on the page there were some pointers as to how to reduce your chances on Alzheimer’s and among them were the use of your brain by playing games and to be social which involves both real life interaction and participation and use of social networking sites.
So then it became all clear to me: Facebook for the games and Google+ for the meaningful communications, the learning new things and the being inspired.
Then I also realized how I do not play online games (anymore) and that brought me the last question: what would keep me on Facebook if all my friends would be on Google+ as well? ACTUALLY NOTHING. hmm.
And for the sake of your mental well being, you now have a good reason to go out on Facebook or Google+ of one of the many many others. But to limit myself to these two, just ask yourself, am I a puzzler, that likes his/her little games, sudoku, scrabble, word puzzles etc or am I always keen to learn more?
- Graph: How long it took Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to reach 20 million users (famousbloggers.net)
- Start G+ Extension: Google+ + Facebook + Twitter (johndierckx.wordpress.com)
- Microsoft will launch a social networking site ? Rumors or Truth (techminers.wordpress.com)
- Google+ has 20 million users already (panasianbiz.com)
- Google Plus for lawyers : First impressions (kevin.lexblog.com)
- Facebook VS. Google+ [Infographic] (singlegrain.com)
- Google+ is +Google (johnbrondum.com)
- Good Reasons to Try Google+ (speedofcreativity.org)
- Why Google Plus is no threat to Facebook! (trak.in)
- Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter: Where Will You Be In One Year’s Time? (ghacks.net)
- Should You Use Google+? (kristenluke.com)
- Google + Just Another Choice (thesexypolitico.wordpress.com)
- Google+ (shanehalbach.com)
- My Top 5 things Google+ need to fix (pakos.me)
- How Social Networking Fits in the B2B Search Marketer’s Toolbox (searchenginewatch.com)
- History doesn’t lie: There will never be a perfect social network (thenextweb.com)
- Here’s The Presentation That Inspired Google+ (GOOG) (businessinsider.com)
- Why Tulalip for the Microsoft social network initiative? (b2b-techcopy.net)
- Is Microsoft Next on the Social Network Bandwagon with Socl.com? (epiphanysolutions.co.uk)