I came across this blog entry by Steve Graham in relation to the Christchurch earthquake. Absolutely beautiful and words many of us need to hear (if your read out loud) or read.
It is very easy in all the tragedy and adrenaline filled stories to overlook the small things that are important as well. Sure enough I was disappointed with myself for not being out there in the streets to do the big stuff, but why? It has nothing to do with God’s love and all with pride and looking for the rush. Praise God for a wife that helps me see things for what they really are and bringing me back to reality: a grim one but also one of many undervalued moments of love and compassion in words and (perhaps many little) actions , and for pointing me towards a here and now and immediate future that offers still plenty of opportunity to serve God, my family and community, but this time according to His will for me and not my will for Him.
I guess Steve Graham further emphasized her point. His summary says it all:
- Grieve: be true to what your heart and your body are saying you need to do. The sooner you do the sooner you move through that phase.
- Take care of yourself: do the basics: eat, and sleep.
- Listen for the heart promptings of “good” you could do
- Begin restoring order and filling – and celebrate each small step and pace yourself as you do it.
- Team together and focus what you can do knowing others will be building right next to you.
- Find the life giving presence and power of God, the resurrection power of God, to rebuild hope life, laughter, joy, order, love, structure and fullness.
- Let hope begin to arise – God is with us for recovery and this great city can be rebuilt.
Christchurch was beautiful city with a great legacy – but as Gerry Brownlee says legacy also plays forward. This is our chance to recover and build a legacy in this city for our grandchildren. May they be thankful for the recovery we brought, led and empowered by God.
Sunday, February 27, 2011What God is saying to Christchurch: “Recovery”
Christchurch has suffered a terrible tragedy – devastation, loss of life, calamity, unbelievable, mind-boggling, mind-numbing. Some of us just don’t know what to think and what the way ahead is. Is it hopeless, just so overwhelming that we cannot actually see a way ahead? Some of us hear the words of confidence and determination but our hearts don’t leap at the words and they fall flat and we feel more hopeless. Such a small community really, we might know one person who died but we know six people who know someone who died. So we know of seven people who died. Two degrees and all that. And so we also wonder, what is God saying in and through this time? What is He saying to the people of God? What is he saying to the city? How should we respond? What should we do? And even if we don’t wonder, others are more than happy to tell us what God is saying. Some claim it is an act of God, of His judgement. I actually do want to claim that I know what He is saying… He is saying “recovery.” (emphasis added by me)
Read the rest of this article here >>>
- VIDEO TRIBUTE: “Stay Strong Christchurch”, Warriors messages to quake victims (3news.co.nz)
- Christchurch holds prayers for quake victims (dailycaller.com)
- Christchurch Earth Quake, Count Effectz Feat. Jevan – I’ll Call Your Name (jezinbris.wordpress.com)
- Christchurch holds prayers for quake victims – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- Christchurch a World Cup doubt after earthquake admits minister – The Guardian (news.google.com)
- New Zealand earthquake: Engineers reveal a THIRD of Christchurch’s buildings have to be demolished (dailymail.co.uk)
- Christchurch Earthquake II (ask-kalena.com)
- Death toll from New Zealand quake climbs to 147 (cnn.com)
- Death toll from New Zealand quake climbs to 147 – CNN International (news.google.com)
- “Christchurch earthquake: Quake death toll expected to rise” and related posts (crofsblogs.typepad.com)
- NZ can learn from Christchurch earthquake – engineer – New Zealand Herald (news.google.com)
- Quake toll climbs to 98 (theage.com.au)
- Quake or aftershock? (theage.com.au)
- “Christchurch Earthquake Update” and related posts (rodneyolsen.net)
- Christchurch quake – latest updates – Stuff.co.nz (news.google.com)
- Christchurch earthquake: Toll continues to rise – New Zealand Herald (news.google.com)
- Weta collectibles auction to benefit Christchurch quake victims (boingboing.net)
- Experts head to N. Zealand to identify quake dead – AFP (news.google.com)