For the last few days I have been trying out Google+ and I have to say I am pleased with what I am seeing. That is not entirely fair as I have always been a great supporter of Google. Not that really matters to anyone but I would like to have it said anyway.
Google+ v Facebook?
I see that there is a lot of speculation going on about whether Google+ is going to be the new Facebook. I will not look at this from a business perspective but all I can say is that so far I can imagine both having their own charm. At the same time, looking at all the other tools that Google already has, I could imagine a that in the future this can all be brought together to have yourself you own social portal. A place to share, read, work, be in contact with your friends, follow the news and all the other things that Google has made available.
At the same time, I like Facebook as well and over time it has proven to be one of my sites of choice both from a social and business perspective (although admittedly these two are harder and harder to separate lately). However with the Google+ to Facebook app, I can follow and update everything that’s going on Facebook. The immediate convert can go for even more drastic measures and export his or her photos from Facebook to Picasa for sharing on Google+
Personally I have not seen anything on Google+ that can not also be done on Facebook, with a little more or less work. Facebook has lists, Google has Circles. Sure enough I am pretty simple when it comes to matters like privacy or being overblown with comments etc, it’s all fine.
The Google plus profile page is nice and clean, with not to many distractions. I am curious to see how that’ll pan out after the official launch and when the advertisements are incorporated. So far all good.
Circles is what the lists are in Facebook, a way of organizing your friends business network, family and whatever you may come up with. It is handy and at the same time I can already see how it is very easy to get over the to with. I could imagine some good use for it, but at the same time nothing too new under the sun here.
Stream shows you what everyone in your network is posting and sharing. I am particularly happy with the ability to filter out according to specific streams and like facebook those that overdo it and crowd your stream too much can be blocked or hidden.
Further features include the possibility to share photos, videos, post status updates and more. There is a buzz option which shows you stream from twitter, wordpress blogs etc works great and a +1 button which I do not quite get yet but seems to be similar to a like button.
For the immediate convert there is already a number of facebook related apps available such as the option to see and update your facebook home page, an option to export to your facebook photo albums to (picasa) google+, an app to export your facebook friends to your google+ account.
Looking back on the first experiences I am pretty happy with it and so far Google+ is seems to be the one with the least amount of deep sighs in trying to get things to work the way I want it. Whatever the experts say I could see this proving to be serious competition.
Given all the other things Google I already use: email, calender, search, specialist search, docs, picasa (as a backup for flickr), google earth, google reader, notofications, google sites, you tube, google talk and translate I could imagine a merge of all these functionality and see myself having one big social portal with everything in there. For the time being, Google+ has won my heart.
Want an invite? leave your email address as a comment.
- Google+, Google Apps and Your Social Graph (proactivereport.com)
- How to Move Your Facebook Photos to Picasa & Google Plus (readwriteweb.com)
- Everything You Need to Know About Google Plus and Photos (wired.com)
- Too many eggs in the Google basket (extremetech.com)
- How-to Publish Updates on Facebook and Twitter from Google+ (shoutmeloud.com)
- Photovine is Live, Time for some Futuristic Google Photo Sharing (slashgear.com)
- Considering Google+ (fishandbicycles.com)
- Can Google+ Beat Facebook? (chris.pirillo.com)
- Why Google Plus Might Be Better Than Facebook (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Google+: Important privacy settings you should know about (theinformativereport.com)
- How Google+ Will Balkanize Your Social Life (technologyreview.com)
- My Top 10 Pluses and Minuses in Google+ (blonde2dot0.com)
- Ironically, Facebook and Twitter accelerating Google+ growth (dondodge.typepad.com)
- I’m on Google Plus, or + , don’t know, but you see (marcbestgen.net)
- Google + like Facebook Circles with Hack Circle (madrasgeek.com)
- Move Facebook photos to Google+ with this application (digitaltrends.com)
- Google Takeout – What’s your take on it? (blogs.vinuthomas.com)
- Privacy policies: Google+ vs. Facebook (digitaltrends.com)
- What Do People Talk About on Google Plus? (coydavidson.wordpress.com)
- Blogger and Picasa Become Google Blogs and Google Photos (chris.pirillo.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Google To Retire Blogger & Picasa Brands in Google+ Push (webfluence.info)
- Google Offers Goes Coast to Coast (Kinda, Sorta) (marketingpilgrim.com)
- Google+: Tools, Names, and Facebook (tech.slashdot.org)
- It Pays to Go Google With Excel Micro (prweb.com)
- Copy, Right? (lacosanostra84.wordpress.com)
- Google+ to Second Lifers: Get Real (terranova.blogs.com)
- Google+: How Paranoid Are You About Privacy? (conceivablytech.com)
- Facebook Blocks ANOTHER Tool That Moves Your Contacts To Google+ (businessinsider.com)
- Google+ Is Crushing It, 10,000,000 Users Tomorrow (GOOG) (businessinsider.com)
- Google+ for Education: Part 2 (q-ontech.blogspot.com)
- Google+ and the identity thing (RexBlog.com)