It’s A Matter of Trust
by Rick Warren
“Trust me in your times of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.” Psalm 50:15 (NLT)
When I ask people what keeps them from trusting in God, they say, “Well I haven’t seen what’s on the other end so I’m not going to trust it.” And yet they trust in things they can’t see all the time.
We can’t see television or radio waves, but we watch TV and listen to the radio every day. We can’t see cell phone waves, but we use them all the time without thinking. It’s selective trust. We trust what we want to trust.
What about you? Are you willing to trust in the One who is unseen but is more reliable, more dependable than any technology this world could create? Are you willing to commit your life to him?
While I understood what Rick Warren was referring to, it felt as if an opportunity was left to further explain.
A Missed Opportunity
Rick Warren rightfully points out that we trust the radio and air waves. I could add to that that we trust in electricity, which is a similarly unseen force of nature. But while they are unseen, that does not mean we trust, as Rick Warren suggests, “selectively.” The power in the examples Rick Warren puts forward is not so much in the unseen nature of the force but in the fact that their workings prove themselves to be reliable time and time again. We are not trusting in the airwaves because we want to trust that airwaves are for real. We not so much put our trust in electricity because we are selective in our trust but because it never seems to let us down in terms of our expectations. Simply put: it works.
Is it not exactly the same with God? While we may not be able to see God, we see the results of His work all around us to an extent where it makes sense to put your trust in God, just like electricity, airwaves et all, not because you want to trust selectively but because you you GOD WORKS.
- Grady Warren: The parodical call for “Tea-had” (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Rick warren (adityajoardar.wordpress.com)
- Rick Warren recovering from eye injury (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Bear hugs with Rick Warren (one.org)
- Firestick Plant INJURES Pastor Rick Warren, Sends Him To Hospital (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rick Warren Recovering From Eye Injury (foxnews.com)
- Pastor Rick Warren’s Gardening Injury (abcnews.go.com)
- Afganul Said Musa eliberat cu ajutorul lui John Piper, Rick Warren – Said Musa released with help from two Pastors (rodiagnusdei.wordpress.com)
- Pastor Rick Warren reportedly blinded by firestick plant (inquisitr.com)
- Loving and Rebuking At the Same Time? (via Defending. Contending.) (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- Why doesn’t Jesus cure poor eyesight and obesity in pastors? (diaryofanatheist.blogspot.com)
- Promote the ex-Straight Movement: Heterosexuality Can Be Cured! (queeringthechurch.com)
- Purpose in Life (tuibguy.com)
- Who To Follow – Part I (boremetotears.com)