Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4 (NIV)
Dave Whitehead reminds us how we have all known places of despair and subsequently how we can find comfort in his presence. For me what jumped out was the wording of the first part of this verse.
It does not say “I will fear no evil if/when your are with me”; it clearly states “for you are with me.” It is the certainty with which David speaks to us about God‘s presence. We all may go through times of spiritual dryness, cry out to God but it seems almost as if He is not there.
Our natural inclination may well be to give into this feeling and subsequently rely on our own strength and cope with the anxieties and stress that follows. David shows us a different way: there is no doubt in his mind that God is with him. And thus he walks through the valley of death boldly, sure of God’s presence.
I can’t but keep wondering. If I was a sure as David, that God was present all the time, what would that valley of death really look like? Would it still be as desolate and scary if we were absolutely sure, like David seemed to be that God was right there by our side? I think that it would actually light of the place substantially and as Christians we’d be enabled to walk boldly into those places/situations we so easily like to avoid because they seem dark and desolate and actually be the salt and light.
- Understanding Psalm 23 (demorrieaux.wordpress.com)
- Psalms 23:4-5 Bible Verse of the Day (momsfirstscreenn.wordpress.com)
- Psalm 23 (yourselfhelppro.wordpress.com)
- The 23 Psalm (likewaterfromtherock.wordpress.com)
- Psalm 23. A Psalm of David. The LORD Our Shepherd (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Fairfield Indiana: Musings from the Valley: Psalm 23:4 (timothyholman.wordpress.com)
- How much do I lack? (everydayawe.com)
- I Believe! (dranilj1.wordpress.com)
- Be Encouraged! – God Is God Still God No Matter Your Situation (unwalled.wordpress.com)
- “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.” (nackynice.wordpress.com)