Earthquake Relief Scams Info


As was to be expected some will see the earthquake as an opportunity to scam others. The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email (CAUCE) published a list of genuine Earthquake relief organizations including their banking details.

I suggest to these organizations for any donation. Additionally a good a blog on earthquake relief organizations can be found on charity navigator here >>>

Appalled


For those that did not follow the news, Christchurch was hit with another massive earthquake again last Tuesday. This time the city is in complete shambles. Horrible as that all may be, again just as after the last time people see in this an opportunity to steal from others.

First we read about the house of one of the missing persons there had been a burglary while the family was waiting and hoping for some good news from the CTV building  here>>>

Or what to think of this message on voxy

Wellington, Feb 25 NZPA – Two men charged with stealing three emergency generators a day after the Christchurch earthquake face a month behind bars after a special Christchurch District Court sitting this morning to deal with criminal cases in the wake of the quake.

Jed Wilson-Calver,
22, unemployed, and Owen Anthony Jackson, a 23-year-old fisherman, offered to leave the city immediately if granted bail, but Judge Michael Crosbie refused, remanding them in custody until March 28, Christchurch Court News website reported.

Judge Crosbie told them: “Those who burgle, loot, steal, or impersonate officials at this time demonstrate that they are capable of anything.”

“Anyone who the courts deem a risk to the community can be expect to be remanded in custody.”

It was the fourth sitting of the court held at the police station following the suspension of regular court sittings since Tuesday.

Judge Crosbie said the generators, worth $6000, were set up to provide back-up power for essential communications. They were stolen between 7.30pm and 10pm on Wednesday.

“My job is to assess the risk,” the judge told both men.

They were charged with stealing vital equipment at a time when people were “dying around us”.

“What would possess someone to do that?” he asked.

The session dealt with other people charged with earthquake-related offences, including Nathan John de Seymour, 22, a hammer hand, of the southern suburb of Beckenham, who was charged with burglary of a house.

He was also remanded in custody to March 28.

Source http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/custody-remand-accused-quake-thieves/5/83591

I guess the Dominion Post coverage of the first two men tells it all:

The two men lifted their middle fingers to the courtroom as they were led back to the cells. Bail was denied, and they were remanded until March 28.

Or what to think of this:

In a separate incident, a looter was caught red handed by police stealing a pearl drum set from a music store in Blenheim Road in the early hours of this morning.

The thief had smashed the front window to gain entry. Police caught and arrested a man 15 metres from the store.

There have also been reports of at least two people – apparently of Australian nationality – presenting themselves to the fire service as both Urban Search and Rescue and Disaster Victim Identification staff. Enquiries showed these people are not credited to either role.

District Commander Superintendent Dave Cliff said as well as making arrests for burglaries and thefts, police had been dealing with cases of drunken disorder and people breaching cordons.

“We urge you to be vigilant, look after the property of your neighbours and if you see something suspicious don’t hesitate to call police.”

Police are continuing to patrol the city with the New Zealand Defence Force, Mr Cliff said.

“We are ramping up our reassurance patrols around the city,” he said.”In he next 48-hours you will see a radical saturation of patrols.”

Police have received reports of people imitating officials, such as aid workers and EQC staff, including one asking to see a resident’s personal possessions with the aim of returning to steal them.

“Please ask for ID, they will have it [if they are legitimate,” Mr Cliff said.

People who have officials come to their home can also call authorities to confirm the identity of the official.

In the rest of the article we read of the first incidents of scams related to the earthquake, people posing as victims that are in need of money. Online the anger about these people can be read on twitter and facebook. And the following initiative was but one that had to transpire:

Public Humiliation for the Looters of the 22/02/2011 Earthquake.

May the bold print of the names above be a small contribution.